Water Damage Emergency Tips for Raleigh, NC
Have You Suffered Water Damage? Rely on ARCO Restoration!
Heavy storms and flooding are extremely dangerous for home and businesses in Raleigh, NC. It may not be for the reasons you think, either. Storms can cause severe damage that is not noticeable to the naked eye. Once you finish all your basic cleanup, you should feel safe, but then you may start to see mold growing from your floorboards and behind your metal fixtures on your sink and shower. Prevent annoying and potentially harmful mold from growing by calling ARCO Restoration when you need quick water damage cleanup. We make sure you never have to deal with mold, even months after your initial cleanup services.
We are available for you anytime you need us. Ready to help you and your family or business 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year to protect what matters most. We understand you can’t plan for busted pipes, leaky roofs, or heavy rainstorms, but have no fear! Our services are quick, efficient, and cost-effective, so don’t wait! The longer you wait to call us, the more time the water has to get deep into your space to start creating opportunities for mold growth.
Tips to Stay Safe When Finding Water Damage
If your home is currently experiencing storm flooding, a broken pipe, or any other form of water damage, there are particular steps you should take to ensure everyone stays safe. Below are some of the first things you need to do and how to protect your family and valuables. Remember to stay safe and calm and call ARCO Restoration for quick water damage cleanup after to save your Wake, Orange, Johnston, or Wilson County home.
First things to do before seeking water damage cleanup from ARCO Restoration:
- The first thing you need to do when you find water damage in your home is to make sure you and those around are safe. Evacuate the house or office, gather outside and make sure you can account for everyone. Furniture, electronics, personal items, important papers, and even your home itself can be replaced. Unfortunately, your loved ones can’t. So, make sure to put their safety above all else and protect them and yourself.
- Slipping and falling is one of the most significant safety hazards with standing water or flooding. You can’t always tell what else came into your home with that water. There could be sharp, broken objects, or even dangerous animals that found their way into your home or office. Take it slow and refrain from entering any dark rooms. If you are immobilized in a fall, you can drown in less than an inch of water, so make sure to play it safe at all times.
- Don’t turn on any lights or electrical appliances, as the water can create an electrical short or carry a charge that can electrocute you and those around you.
- Never spend long periods of time in water-damaged rooms. It doesn’t take long for bacteria and mold spores to proliferate in wet environments, and they can cause sickness or breathing problems after prolonged exposure.
- Make sure to check the ceilings of many rooms you have to walk through. Leaky pipes or flooding in upper rooms can flow to lower levels, so check the ceilings for bowing or staining before you enter.
- Call ARCO Restoration 24/7 at (919) 872-5033 to schedule an emergency water damage cleanup crew.
How to Protect Your Valuables and Furnishings
Before ARCO Restoration comes out to help with our water damage cleanup services, there are some general maintenances you can take care of to help further protect and potentially save your valuables and furnishings. Remember to only worry about these items after you have taken care of your family and co-workers first.
Protect Your Valuables
- If it is safe to go inside, unplug and grab your computers, phones, tablets, and hard drives to make sure you don’t lose any valuable work or personal information. Carry them carefully outside and put them somewhere high and dry.
- Grab your personal papers and place them in waterproof holders (locking sandwich bags from the kitchen work fine).
- Gather your photos, jewelry, artwork, and other mementos and put them in plastic tubs if you have them.
Protect Your Furnishings
- Wipe excess water off your wooden furniture and move smaller pieces to dry areas
- Be careful about moving furniture as wet items can be more substantial than normal
- Put wood blocks or aluminum foil under the legs of your wood and upholstered furniture to prevent them from absorbing water
- Remove rugs from wet carpeting or wood
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting
- Divert water flow with rolled-up towels or waterproof tarps
- Move books off the floor and away from low bookcases
Start Drying As Soon As Possible
- Hang up curtains, clothes, or rugs that are wet to start the drying process
- Move damp upholstery and cushions out of the area and prop them up for maximum air exposure, so they dry faster
- Move wet colored items off your carpets, so the colors don’t run and stain
Call ARCO Restoration for Water Damage Cleanup Services
Once you have taken care of people in your home or office and some of the valuables that you could safely reach, call ARCO Restoration. We will bring our equipment and experience to offer water damage services. Once we are finished with these services, your home will be safe to re-enter. Wake, Orange, Johnston and Wilson County have grown to trust ARCO Restoration over the past 25 years with our water damage cleanup options. Reach as soon as possible to get the help you and valuables need.
The ARCO Difference
- Locally Based
- Free Consultations
- Advanced Response Service
- Over 40 Years of Professional Experience
- Locally Based and Family Operated Since 1995