Water Damage Emergency Tips for Raleigh, NC
If your home is experiencing storm flooding, a broken pipe, or any other water damage, here are the first things you need to do to save your home and protect your family and valuables.
- Stay calm.
- Evacuate the house. Gather outside and make sure everyone is accounted for.
- Call ARCO Restoration 24/7 at (919) 872-5033 to schedule an emergency water damage cleanup crew.
- Follow the tips below to safeguard your family, home, and valuables until help arrives.
First: Stay safe
- The first thing you need to do when you find water damage in your home is make sure you are safe.
- Furniture, electronics, personal items, important papers, and even your home itself can be replaced. You can’t. So make sure you protect the safety of yourself and your family above all else.
- Slipping and falling is one of the biggest safety hazards with standing water or flooding. You can’t always tell what else came into your home with the water. Take it slow and don’t enter any dark rooms. If you are immobilized in a fall, you can drown in less than an inch of water.
- Don’t turn on any lights or electrical appliances, as the water can create an electrical short or carry a charge that can electrocute you.
- Never spend long periods of time in water-damaged rooms. It doesn’t take long for bacteria and mold spores to proliferate in wet environments, and they can cause sickness or breathing problems after prolonged exposure.
- Make sure to check the ceilings. Leaky pipes or flooding in upper rooms can flow to lower floors, so check the ceilings of any rooms for bowing or staining before you enter.
Protect your valuables
- If it is safe to go inside, unplug and grab your computers, phones, tablets, and hard drives to make sure you don’t lose any valuable work or personal information. Carry them carefully outside and put them somewhere high and dry.
- Grab your personal papers and place them in waterproof holders (locking sandwich bags from the kitchen work fine.
- Gather your photos, jewelry, artwork, and other mementos and put them in plastic tubs if you have them.
Protect your furnishings
- Wipe excess water off your wooden furniture and move smaller pieces to dry areas. Be careful moving furniture as wet items can be very heavy.
- Put wood blocks or aluminum foil under the legs of your wood and upholstered furniture to prevent them from absorbing water.
- Remove rugs from wet carpeting or wood.
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Divert water flow with rolled up towels or waterproof tarps.
- Move books off the floor and away from low bookcases.
Start drying as soon as possible
- Hang up curtains, clothes, or rugs that are wet to start the drying.
- Move wet upholstery and cushions out of the area and prop them up for maximum air exposure so they dry faster.
- Move wet colored items off your carpets, so the colors don’t run and stain.
If you have water damage, call us 24/7 at (919) 872-5033
The ARCO Difference
- Locally Based
- Free Consultations
- Advanced Response Service
- Over 40 Years of Professional Experience
- Locally Based and Family Operated Since 1995